At this time, all we do is participate in the "opportunity fair" at the
freshman orientation.  The fair takes place in the college gym.  Various
campus services have tables with staff to speak to students/parents and
promote their services.  Examples include my center, the writing center, the
women's center, peer mentoring, academic advising, the health center, etc.
We typically give away bookmarks.  This year we will be doing candy as well.

There is a separate, major-specific orientation for new students in the
Forensic Science major.  The center will play a much larger role in this
orientation, but this is the first year we'll be doing it so the details
aren't clear yet.

Another idea we've been playing with:  Orientation packets include a JJC
pen.  I've been chatting with the the other learning center directors about
substituting pens or pencils with our centers' information on them.  The
thinking behind it is that students attending orientation already know about
the college itself (or they wouldn't be there :)), but they may not know
about the various academic support services, so putting our pens in
orientation packets will help build awareness.  My original request for
funding for this was not supported, but I plan to try again.

Best,
Michele

Michele Costabile Doney
Coordinator, Math and Science Tutoring