For a long time, Leeward Community College had an "N" grade (no credit, no
penalty to GPA) that was used in different ways by different instructors:
some would use it in place of an F, others would use it for students who
made an effort and completed assignments but whose skills weren't quite at
the level needed to pass, or for students who were doing ok until some
catastrophe derailed them.  A few years ago, we got dinged by the
accreditors for the lack of clear parameters for using the N, and our
faculty senate voted to abolish it.  Recently, though, the senate voted to
reinstate the N for remedial/developmental math and English courses -- I'm
not sure if everything has been decided, but I believe that grade options
for these courses will be A-B-C-D-N (no F).  I think it's a good move, as an
F grade can be very discouraging and cause some students, who may just need
more time/practice at a given level, to give up.  I'm not positive if the N
grade has been extended to our sub-100-level ESL classes, but I know this
has been discussed, and I think it will probably be implemented if it hasn't
been yet.

    beth

> We award "A," "B," "C," and "NC"(no credit) grades to our developmental (0-
> level) English and math courses at our community college. The "NC" is given
> to students who complete all coursework, attend the number of required
> classes, take all the tests including the final, give their greatest
> effort, and still don't pass the course.  The thinking has been to
> encourage students to retake the course to build their skills and not let
> their failure penalize their GPA's.  Most go on to succeed in subsequent
> coursework.
>
> Students who do not complete the course requirements (and otherwise don't
> take the course seriously) may receive an "F." On occasion, due to special
> circumstances a student may receive a "D."
>
> Some at our institution say they are not aware of other schools using the
> NC as part of their grading practice for developmental courses and have
> some concerns about inconsistencies in grading at our institution.  I'd
> like to poll the listserv to find out if other schools are using this
> method of grading for their developmental courses.
>
> Many thanks to all of you beforehand for your responses.
>
> Debra Klimes, Director
> Academic Development Center
> College of Southern Idaho
> Twin Falls, ID
> (208) 732-6520

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Beth Kupper-Herr
Professor
Coordinator, Learning Resource Center
Leeward Community College