ONCE -- I gave my tutors clipboards to carry around as they did drop-in
style tutoring for a couple of days during the last week of the
semester, prior to finals.  The clipboard held a piece of paper with a
list of math topics with three columns representing three levels of
math.  Tutors were instructed to tally the topic/skill that was tutored
in the column of the course the student was in.  It was an interesting
snapshot of the kinds of questions being asked by students.  Certainly
it lacks on a number of levels when it comes to statistical
significance.

I've attached the summary.

Kate, I can understand student affairs people wanting to know the kind
of info they are asking for.  But what you can provide them may not be
very reliable data.  (Based on how unreliable my tutors were with my
little experiment).  I believe there are valid surveys that can provide
some of what they are looking for.  We have something on our campus
referred to as Bessi (sp?) and I think it reports student preparedness,
etc.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Math Lab Manager
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

>>> "Kate Jakobson" <[log in to unmask]> 6/3/2008 5:01 PM >>>
So far all of the responses have been concerning tutees assessing
tutoring
sessions/services, not the reverse.

So is it just me and a rough day or does this request by 'student
affairs
leaders'(I'm not sure who they would be and their purpose in requesting
this
information?) seem a bit - not to offend anyone, but over the top?  For
one
thing, I don't know about you all but we're already drowning in
documentation
(haven't splurged on Tutortrac or Accutrac yet).  For another thing,
while it
may not be a FERPA issue, I feel (and we even advertise this) a degree
of
confidentiality in our 1-1 tutoring sessions.  For a 3rd thing, by far
the
majority of our tutors are peer tutors and while I trust them to be
able to
provide information to me concerning the preparedness and progress of
their
tutees, I'm just wondering about their ability and desire (to be
pragmatic about
this) to do a good job at assessing, affectively, every single tutoring
session
they have - every single one?

Many of our tutors have back to back sessions for 3 - 4 hours at a
time, a
break, and then more hours.  My drop-in math tutors are running around
helping 3
- 10 students at any given time (there's no way they'd be able to
assess every
student they work with right after they work with them).  It's been
hard enough
for me to get my 1-1 tutors to complete their very brief - a couple of
sentences
- 'report of tutoring session' where they're expected to just briefly
describe
what was covered during each session.  We do that after every session
and the
tutors submit them every two weeks with their timesheets.  These have
actually
been helpful on occasion regarding state agencies and funding
documentation, but
there's no assessment of the tutee per se involved, just briefly what
was done
during that session. If there ARE any issues whether progress,
preparedness, or
engagement-oriented, the tutors and/or tutees are expected to come to
me with
their concerns.  And true, this might work only because we're a very
small
college and only a few hundred students receiving any sort of tutoring
during
any given semester.

We do, as most everyone, distribute a tutoring center services survey
at the end
of each semester and ask the tutees to assess our services, a drop-in
math
survey form, and for the 1-1 tutors, we ask each tutee to evaluate
their
sessions and their tutor.  But to have peer tutors assessing affective
issues
like these at the end of every session just seems like asking a lot to
me.  Are a lot of tutoring centers out there actually doing this?

And again, could just be that kind of day.

Kate Jakobson, Director
Tutoring and Student Success
Kirtland Community College
989.275.5000 x 211

Quoting Lynnae DOPP <[log in to unmask]>:

| Educators,
|
| Our student affairs leaders are asking our tutors (drop-in and
appointment)
| to complete a "quick" assessment following EACH tutoring encounter
with a
| student.  We are trying to develop an assessment...or assessments
(one for
| drop-in and one for appointment) that will gather pertinent
information about
| the "preparedness/level of engagement/progress" of the tutees with
whom we
| work.  Is anyone else requiring tutors to do a similar assessment
following
| every "session?"  If so, what does your instrument look like?
|
| Please send your responses to me at:  [log in to unmask]   Thanks very
much.

| Lynnae Dopp
| Appointment Tutoring Center Coordinator
| Weber State University
| Ogden, UT

web
| browser to
| http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html
|
| To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask]

browser to