From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Cleveland
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New Student Orientation workshop/programming

Hi Angela,

Perhaps you can do what I do and tweak it a bit to suit your arrangement.  I
visit many sections of our UNV 101 sections in the fall.  I spend about 45
minutes with each group.  I tell them about the services of the Tutoring
Center.  I ask them about certain courses that they may be taking or about
their majors for which our Tutoring Center will be of great help.  I pass
out our brochure.  Through a Q&A style of presentation, I try to dispel the
myths about seeking help.  I urge them to get help early, etc.  I also
inform them of the upcoming Study Skills Workshops and talk about each one.
As a segue and primer to the Study Skills Workshops, I talk about the
importance of time management, and I use a couple of volunteers to plug in
the number hours they do this and that using two different online time
management calculators (http://www.studygs.net/schedule/ and
http://www.ucc.vt.edu/stdysk/TMInteractive.html).  Of course, I have a
computer and projector.  I offer feedback, but I also ask the class to offer
up constructive ideas.  I also show them the Assignment calculator at
http://www.lib.wayne.edu/services/instruction_tutorials/calculator/index.php
.

Try something like this for your orientation sessions.

Best,

John Cleveland

John P. Cleveland, M.T.S., M.A.
Director, Tutoring Center
Center for Academic Excellence
& Adjunct Instructor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies
Pace University
41 Park Row, Room 204
New York, NY  10038
212-346-1407