Thanks for your responses.  Our initial thought, too, was that this was "excessive assessment" and a lot to ask of a tutor.  But the Student Affairs VP request stands.  Her assessment "officer" proposed the questions on the attached preliminary assessments.  We tutoring supervisors reviewed them and added our input.  (Both are printed there.)  SA is looking at putting them on PDA's for a tutor's quick input.  It is all about ASSESSMENT!

Thoughts, anyone??

Lynnae Dopp
Appt. Tutoring Center Coordinator

>>> Kate Jakobson <[log in to unmask]> 6/3/2008 5:01 PM >>>
So far all of the responses have been concerning tutees assessing tutoring
sessions/services, not the reverse.

So is it just me and a rough day or does this request by 'student affairs
leaders'(I'm not sure who they would be and their purpose in requesting this
information?) seem a bit - not to offend anyone, but over the top?  For one
thing, I don't know about you all but we're already drowning in documentation
(haven't splurged on Tutortrac or Accutrac yet).  For another thing, while it
may not be a FERPA issue, I feel (and we even advertise this) a degree of
confidentiality in our 1-1 tutoring sessions.  For a 3rd thing, by far the
majority of our tutors are peer tutors and while I trust them to be able to
provide information to me concerning the preparedness and progress of their
tutees, I'm just wondering about their ability and desire (to be pragmatic about
this) to do a good job at assessing, affectively, every single tutoring session
they have - every single one?

Many of our tutors have back to back sessions for 3 - 4 hours at a time, a
break, and then more hours.  My drop-in math tutors are running around helping 3
- 10 students at any given time (there's no way they'd be able to assess every
student they work with right after they work with them).  It's been hard enough
for me to get my 1-1 tutors to complete their very brief - a couple of sentences
- 'report of tutoring session' where they're expected to just briefly describe
what was covered during each session.  We do that after every session and the
tutors submit them every two weeks with their timesheets.  These have actually
been helpful on occasion regarding state agencies and funding documentation, but
there's no assessment of the tutee per se involved, just briefly what was done
during that session. If there ARE any issues whether progress, preparedness, or
engagement-oriented, the tutors and/or tutees are expected to come to me with
their concerns.  And true, this might work only because we're a very small
college and only a few hundred students receiving any sort of tutoring during
any given semester.

We do, as most everyone, distribute a tutoring center services survey at the end
of each semester and ask the tutees to assess our services, a drop-in math
survey form, and for the 1-1 tutors, we ask each tutee to evaluate their
sessions and their tutor.  But to have peer tutors assessing affective issues
like these at the end of every session just seems like asking a lot to
me.  Are a lot of tutoring centers out there actually doing this?

And again, could just be that kind of day.

Kate Jakobson, Director
Tutoring and Student Success
Kirtland Community College
989.275.5000 x 211