I have conducted such workshops for up to 250 at once - I would suggest
lots of activities that will allow them to work in small groups.  A few
minutes of talk at most followed by a hands-on activity.  Moving back
and forth in this fashion they will feel engaged and walk away with some
practical experiences.

I begin with a very engaging ice breaker (see attached).  I give them a
handout of the first slide with what appears to be random numbers on a
page and they are to connect the numbers in order.  They have one
minute.  In the debriefing process, I ask them to reflect on the time
pressure and the tendency to get "stuck" on one item. (They can do this
in their small groups and then you can ask for a few sample responses).
Then I ask them if this would have been more successful if they had a
"plan."  The second slide shows the same numbers but they are actually
in 4 quadrants and the numbers proceed from right to left and top to
bottom.  IN one minute they can of course accomplish much more since
they now have the plan.  As you can see this begins the conversation on
the importance of a planning process - from semester, to weekly, to
daily, etc.

With such a large group it helps to have crowd control help - peer
leaders to move among the groups and help facilitate activities as you
offer each hands-on option.

Enjoy!

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph. D.
Director, Student Learning Services
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, FL  33620
813-974-5141

"We cannot always build our future for our youth,
but we can build our youth for our future."
Franklin D. Roosevelt