From: Vincent Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [FLBIRDS] Babcock-Webb WMA
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, June 13, 2008, 5:37 PM

Visiting California birders Madeline Bauer & Ed Snyder were at
Babcock-Webb WMA on Wednesday, June 11th and reported seeing at least
one Red-cockaded Woodpecker at the first cluster on Oil Well Grade.
This was about 9:00 a.m. They too said that Seabord Grade was "dicey"

but were able to make it through in their rental car.

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/
http://www.caloosabirdclub.org

On Jun 13, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Susan wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> A group of us went to Babcock-Webb WMA in Punta Gorda early this
> morning,
> and were rewarded with seeing some great birds. We started off with
> an adult
> and juvenile Limpkin pair on the lake south of the pay station. On the
> opposite side of the road, we found two Least Bitterns in that
> lake. Moving
> on, we located SIX Bachman's Sparrows (!), numerous Brown-headed
> Nuthatches,
> and some beautifully vibrant Eastern Bluebirds and Pine Warblers.
> Among
> other birds, we saw two different male No. Bobwhites today, several E.
> Meadlowlarks, and E. Towhees, a Downy Woodpecker, and heard a No.
> Flicker.
> Despite numerous attempts at our normal sighting areas, we missed
> the RCWO
> today. There were lots of wading birds and Common Yellowthroats
> throughout
> the WMA, and we ended our time at Babcock-Webb with a Great-crested
> Flycatcher flying into a nearby snag. It was wetter than usual out
> there,
> and we did have to turn around after a short while on Seaboard
> Grade, as it
> was in too dicey of a condition. When you need a nice pick-me-up
> from your
> usual summer Mockingbirds and Cardinals in the yard, head over to
> Babcock-Webb. The air was just humming with all the trilling of the
> Pine
> Warblers, E. Towhees, and Bachman's Sparrows this morning - lovely!
>

> Susan Daughtrey
>
> Englewood, Charlotte County

> Member  photos II:  see connection on photos I
> For archives:  http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/floridabirds-l.html
> Set nomail: [log in to unmask] Message: Set floridabirds-L nomail
> Listowner:  [log in to unmask]

Listowner:  [log in to unmask]