Hi all,

A few of us went to the Celery Fields in Sarasota early this morning, and
enjoyed a wonderful Summer Solstice. Besides the usual crowd of
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks flying all around, Mary Dommermuth found a
Fulvous Whistling Duck on the large lake, we saw three different Least
Bitterns, the King Rail was running around, and lots of wonderful babies
were on display. One Black-bellied Whistling Duck collected her SEVENTEEN
(!) darling ducklings and swam by with them parading along after her. We
also saw three different Wood Duck families, Mottled Ducks and babies, and
many Black-necked Stilt and C. Moorhen young 'uns. There were also several
gorgeous Roseate Spoonbills, a few Limpkins, Sandhill Cranes, two A. Coots,
one Forster's Tern, Barn Swallow, and Purple Martin overhead, E. Towhees and
E. Meadowlarks calling, and Monk Parakeets flying over.

I was very surprised to see a trio of Black-hooded Parakeets come squawking
overhead while I was filling up at the Grove City Mini-Mart on Placida Road
afterwards..I've never seen them this far south before. Has anyone else ever
seen them in Charlotte County???

Best,

Susan Daughtrey

Englewood, Charlotte County