At one point, some years ago, ACT said that their test results were
not to be used for placement and that if they were and a student
protested the placement, they would testify on behalf of the student.
Now, this is several years out of date and I probably can't find the
citation anymore but we have avoided using the SAT & ACT for just that
reason -- they are not designed for placement decisions.

Ron

Ronald D. Illingworth
Professor
Interior-Aleutians Campus