From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Santage, JoAnn
Sent: Wed 6/25/2008 4:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Newsweek replacement update

HI all,

I mentioned to one of the reading instructors that our listserv was
having a discussion on Newsweek being discontinued and what various
reading programs would do for a substitute.  She asked that I pass this
along since she is teaching this summer and already has formed an
opinion!!

Wanted to update you on how it's going with students finding their own
articles--it's going GREAT!!  They are finding tons of interesting
articles from all kinds of sources.  Many are using Newsweek online
because that's the site I showed them in class, but many are branching
out to many other sources online.  And several are bringing in articles
cut out from the newspaper, or from the online Omaha World-Herald.
Overall it's a great success!!  I love the fact that students are
finding so many different resources, and also that they're getting
experience with finding news information online.  The variety and
interest level of the articles they choose has been amazing to
me--they're finding things they are truly interested in, instead of
being limited to whatever Newsweek had.  Not one student has told me
they've had a problem with finding an article or printing it.  A couple
said they found the article at home, but couldn't print for whatever
reason, so they printed their article here at school. That's fine, and
it teaches them to take responsibility and figure things out.

I am really glad we were forced to make the change--I think my students
are learning a lot more than they were by just flipping through a
magazine looking for the shortest article.  :-)

Teri Quick

Good luck in your transition!!
JoAnn Santage
Metropolitan Community College