Ps

Steve and Jason are absolutely right; this is a global problem that requires
a global thinking with local solutions.

Since global and even national regulatory solutions are very difficult and
time consuming to implement, the fastest way to reduce emissions and
releases would be to tap the power of consumers and raise performance
expectations for critical industrial commodities, like food, fossil fuels,
cement, steel, etc.

Government simply needs to ask those who profit to disclose the pollution
releases created by the production, distribution and sale of their products
against simple and relevant performance criteria.

Industry will demand that these government expectations be converted into
standardized policies, be they rules, regulations, incentives or just
suggested methodologies to estimate life-cycle releases from farm, energy,
transportation, land use or widgets. The first step is to simply raise the
expectation.

Ask producers to disclose releases against simple and easy to measure
PERFORMANCE CRITERIA designed and selected to allow all stakeholders to
understand clearly the impacts of those products on public resources.

A simple policy that requires producers of commodities or widgets to
disclose how their product measures up against simple performance criteria
would be the single most effective and timely step that government can
implement at this time. In the case of farm products that contribute to
climate change and nutrient dead zones, two metrics make sense:

1. life-cycle releases of carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2e) per unit of
product, AND

2. life-cycle releases of nitrogen and phosphorus per unit of product to
receiving waters.

Given the ease of access to computer databases, these calculations are no
harder for the responsible party to estimate than the cost in dollars of
producing, marketing and selling a product.

This is a very simple and powerful solution:

Just as shareholders expect open and transparent reporting and auditing of
the costs of a product (aka also known as full cost accounting) and food
shoppers expect disclosure of important nutritional information, consumers
should also be educated to expect open and transparent reporting of
life-cycle releases of key pollutants, such as carbon, nutrients or toxics,
created by that product.

First step: Create the expectation.

dave

David E. Bruderly, PE