I am intrigued by the responses -- on and off list -- that my question has prompted.  I hope that more people will join the conversation, but before doing so, please let me clarify that the topic is something I've been thinking about, not a pressing issue for me personally or at my institution.  It's just something I've pondered based on little incidents that I've seen or heard about, incidents that made me wonder about the overall (or underlying) principles at stake.  I created the SMVs so that we could discuss the principles and not any specific real group; I apologize if the analogy is weak, but I tried.

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Resources
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
(920) 424-3419