Hi all,

    As Gustav approaches our end of the Gulf Coast, we are seeing a phenomenon that we have witnessed when previous storms have approached the northern Gulf Coast when the center is forecast to past west of Pensacola. For a day or two ahead of the storm, against stiff east winds, a steady procession of Black Terns fly east along the coast, as though they sense the worst weather will pass to the west of them. This involves thousands of terns and may go on for a day or two until the weather situation worsens. There must be a biological mechanism at work here. Any thoughts on this?

Bob Duncan
Gulf Breeze, Fl in the w. Panhandle