---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Norm Rosenblood <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Aug 31, 2008 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: FW: in treatment
To: Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask]  (88 lines) ------------------

  Karen,

I find the programme to be superficial in many ways.

The interpretations rarely focus on unconscious phantasy and resistance.
The therapist is almost infuriatingly disengaged and routinely lets
ideas and themes get avoided or ignored. Everyone seems to be skating on
the surface. He let that poor girl, who had a blatant erotic transference,
drown in her transparent acting out.

I have yet to hear him  interpret a dream carefully and analyse the
patient's responses to the interpretation.

If I were supervising the therapist, I would suggest he try four times a
week analysis for three or four years and then perhaps do some organized
reading. Then he might perhaps contemplate applying for some
systematic instruction.

No wonder "treatment" has a bad rep.

I also hope the analysts who intend to discuss the "show" are not the same
ones who gave Dr. Melfi an award for her treatment of Tony S. It seems
counter-transference pathology makes good soap opera and questionable
treatment.

Norm Rosenblood

Norman Rosenblood, Ph.D., Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst
Co-director, Hamilton Centre for Psychoanalysis
8 Mayfair Place
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4G1