Well, I think they both are salient:

the media has investigated Obama for buying his house from indicted
political fundraiser Tony Rezko and they have investigated McCain for
buying too many houses (as an academic, I too lose count of how many
houses I own sometimes).

and the media was also quite interested in who Bill Clinton kissed
(now *that's* a lot of collaboration) and now who Sarah Palin's
daughter kissed (Bill swears it wasn't him).

so from their point of view, a past connection could mean a current,
hidden connection, and thus current influence....

but, yes, that way of viewing the world asymptotes all of us towards
having a Palin number of 2!

:)

James H. Fowler
http://jhfowler.ucsd.edu