Hey all-

I am teaching Watts' Six Degrees book and I would really like to be able
to show the students graphs (visualizations) of some of the ideas he
presents.  These are first year liberal arts students.  So, I want them to
understand the idea of models and how a changing parameter can affect the
model.  For example, Watts describes their alpha model and how the
likelihood of new ties as a function of number of mutual ties can generate
all kinds of models.

In my dreams, I fire up a computer, load some sort of app, and presto!
They can see different types of networks (and also get some descriptive
stats or measurements) based on changing some initial parameters.  I know
the socnet community has lots of software people have developed, but my
need is more pedagogical- simple, visual, and dynamic.  Maybe what I need
is a "live" simulation that changes visually according to those initial
settings.

This little demo is close: http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/snijders/siena.html
And it is very nice.  But the meanings of the parameters' values are a bit
opaque (to me at least).  And I can't regraph the network out of a circle.

Any thoughts?

Is there some lovely network simulator and graphing package out there that
I am missing?

Thanks (I'll repost compile replies for collective wisdom).

Jordi

Jordi Comas
Assistant Professor

School of Management
Bucknell University
570 577-3161

Ideas, Commentary and Research Blog:
<http://www.netsweweave.wordpress.com/> www.netsweweave.wordpress.com

Personal website:  <http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/jcomas>
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/jcomas

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin

"Not all learning leads to intelligent behavior."  James March

"I often say sociology is a martial art, a means of self-defense.
Basically, you use it to defend yourself, without having the right to use
if for unfair attacks."  Pierre Bourdieu

"These are hard times to get it right, but the easy answers to yesterday's
debate won't get it right." Lawrence Lessig