This evening, 9/4, I found a beautiful American Golden Plover in alternate plumage that was just beginning to molt. This was a very attractive bird. It had a long primary extension which ruled out Pacific Golden Plover and no white in the wing linings which ruled out European Golden Plover. A few minutes later I found two Buff-breasted Sandpipers. The birds were all found on the baseball fields at the Ormond Beach Sports Complex off US 1, in Ormond Beach, Volusia County.  Shortly later the Buff-Breasted Sandpipers joined the Golden Plover on the same ball field. These were the only two fields in the entire complex that were not over-run with soccer and baseball players.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet