Shevawn,

At St. Thomas University in Miami, Fl., I redesigned the developmental
math courses (i.e. Basic College Mathematics, Intro To Algebra, and
Intermediate Algebra) by changing the instructional model from the
traditional lectures to "learning by doing" approach. I was becoming
frustrated on how my students were performing in the developmental math
courses, where they were not actively engaged in the learning process.
Absenteeism, poor study skills, lack of motivation, and low passing
rates were rampant in the developmental math courses. This was causing a
retention issue in our institution. Using a model (i.e. Emporium)
suggested by the National Center for Academic Transformation
(http://www.center.rpi.edu/index.html), I decided to make changes to my
courses in which I give more control to the learning process to my
students and where the instructor becomes more a facilitator than a
lecturer.

Students come to the computer lab of the Academic Enhancement Center to
take the courses, where they use ALEKS to review, reinforced, and
re-learn the basic skills necessary to succeed in the higher level math
courses. Students learn at their own pace using all the available
resources available in ALEKS, instructor-made materials, and the
Internet. The instructor provide individual and small group instruction
with the help of tutors who are available during class. Students have
the potential to complete the basic skills courses in one term (fall or
spring), instead of a whole academic year, since the course is
self-paced.

I hope this helps.

Steven Diaz
Math Instructor