Dear all:

At Aurora University we are piloting an Early Invention Program this fall for our First Year students. I have attached an outline of the process. It is similar to our previous Academic Warning Notice, with the difference being that we have gone from a paper form to an E-form and we asked the faculty to complete the form by yesterday, September 22, the beginning of Week 5 of our fall semester. We are looking at purchasing Retention Alert as an add-on application to our WebAdvsior system which is a product of DataTel, and wanted to pilot an e-form before we invest $25,000 in Retention Alert.

In a nutshell, faculty/Instructors have been asked to complete the E-form which is then sent to our advising center (AKA, The Crouse Crouse Center for Student Success) and received as an e-mail. In addition to submitting the form, the referring instructor also tells the student that they are submitting a Our Administrative Assistant receives the e-mails and forwards them to the student's academic advisor in our center, athletic coach (if applicable), and our Center for Teaching and Learning. The advisor follows up with the student. It is up to the advisor to determine their preferred way of follow-up based on their style of advising.

I begin by sending the student an e-mail or Facebook (FB). I also copy their coach on my initial contact if it is an e-mail. I find that our coaches are really good at "motivating" the students. If I know the student has a FB page, I send them a FB message. I find that students respond to FB quicker than to an E-mail. For example, I sent a message to a referred student yesterday afternoon at 2:39 pm via FB and he replied via FB by 6:35 pm. I have attached our exchange as an attachment so you can see the verbiage I use in my e-mail/FB message.

If I find that I receive no response via e-mail or FaceBook, I will call their cell phone.

I have found that students usually respond to either the Facebook or E-mail contact. I think this contact gives the student a better chance to respond. I have found that when I call, and try to talk to the student, they seem to say, "Everything is fine" or "I have everything under control" and don't seem to be as engaged in the conversation as they are when they respond to me e-mail or Facebook contact.

We will be evaluating our pilot at the end of the semester (looking at mid-term GPA and final GPA as well as the grade the student earned in the class that they were referred for) to see how effective the intervention was.

Travis Ramage
Academic Advisor / STAR Program Coordinator
Aurora University
347 Gladstone Avenue
Aurora, IL 60506
PH: 630-844-5141