Kathryn and all,
Wouldn't it be great if some of us did some formal research to establish some reliability and validity of some of these tools/activities?  I still use them without the evidence for evidence-based practice, but I feel that I have to do it with a caveat that almost makes it seems like just something fun to do, instead of science about learning--but it's easy to see that there IS some validity and reliability.  I have one small study with a small cohort I'm preparing to submit for publication, but some of you are doing great things with large groups. I would love to see you add to the learning styles literature. 'How about it?  :-)
Linda Riggs Mayfield

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn Van Wagoner
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 11:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Learning Styles Activities

It's been a while since I have shared this and I cannot remember who to give credit to -- someone who once presented at a Utah CRLA chapter meeting.

Introduce learning styles by playing very short games of Pictionary (visual), Guesstures (tactile/kinesthetic) and Taboo (verbal).  Ask the students which game they most enjoy -- it could be an indication of their learning style.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Utah Valley University
Math Lab Manager
801-863-8411

>>> "Shari Nelson" <[log in to unmask]> 9/26/2008 9:23 AM >>>
Greetings!

I am making a presentation on Learning Styles (to mostly freshmen) in a couple of weeks and am looking for some short (5-10 min.) activities that I can incorporate into the presentation. I will be presenting on visual, auditory and tactile learning style and would like to have the students do a fun activity that would help them understand how their learning styles effect their learning and studying.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Shari Nelson
University of North Dakota
Assistant Director of Learning Services
Student Success Center

The information contained in this e-mail message is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee and no one else.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, reproduce or use this e-mail message (or the attachments).  Please delete the original and notify the sender of the mistaken transmission.  Thank you.