-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Angela Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Assessment of the Learning Center impact on an institution

Hello All,

I am the coordinator of a small Learning Center which provides tutoring,
facilitated study groups and academic coaching.  The center just opened
a year ago and I would like to assess the impact that the Learning
Center has had on the institution.  We have a lot of data in terms of
usage statistics, however, the center was designed to improve retention
and support the "soft skills" of academe.  We have looked also at pass
rates for students that utilized the tutoring services; however, that
hasn't shown a correlation.

Has anyone designed assessments based on the institutional impact of
academic support programs?  For instance, how do you measure and/or
correlate academic support to retention and persistence?  Is this sort
of assessment even possible?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Angela

Angela Nadeau, M.A., LCPC

Learning Center Coordinator