We provide space for accommodations such as extended time and a quiet environment, but our disability services takes care of scribes, readers and notetakers.  In a pinch we have provided that service, but not as a general rule.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Angela Nadeau
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: roles and responsibilities

Hello Listservers,

We are looking at possibly reorganizing our procedures in terms of the
delivery of test accommodations and assistance with assistive technology
support for our students with disabilities.  Specifically, we are
attempting to define who "owns" the responsibility for providing the
tests (proctoring, reading, scribe, etc) and services that go along with
assistive and adaptive technology (i.e. scanning textbooks, DVR's,
Dragon Naturally Speaking, etc.).  At this point the Learning Center at
our college has been providing the bulk of the services for students
with disabilities.

I would like to know what other colleges do in terms of their role and
responsibilities in regards to the office for students with disabilities
(i.e. does the Learning Center proctor exams, assist with technology,
etc., provide readers for tests, etc) or does another department provide
those services.  There is a lot more involved in this question which is
specific to our college, but I would just like an overview of other
learning center practices in regards to this issue.

Any information you could share would help with our organization...

THANKS!

angela

Angela Nadeau, M.A., LCPC

Learning Center Coordinator

York County Community College

112 College Drive

Wells, Maine 04090

(207) 646-9282 ext. 274

email: [log in to unmask]

website: http://www.yccc.edu/learningCenter/
<http://www.yccc.edu/learningCenter/>  <http://www.yccc.edu>

The information contained in this communication is confidential. This communication is the property of Heartland Community College and is intended only for use by the recipient identified. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original communication. Any distribution or copying of this message without the College's prior consent is prohibited.