I show my students how to annotate a short passage, modeling the process
and having them annotate and discuss as we go along. It's a great
follow-up to an explanation of SQ3R/SQ4R. Take a selection with a
heading, turn the heading into a question, read and summarize in the
margins the info. that answers the question, and look away to recite the
answer. My favorite passage right now is a 1 1/2-page section from a
sociology chapter on the family labeled Cross-Cultural Differences. Each
paragraph discusses a different area of cultural contrast: nature of
incest taboo (which relatives are off-limits?), basis for marriage
(romance versus economic arrangement), number of mates allowed, age at
marriage, and number of generations living together. The material makes
for great discussion and good examples of marking terms and definitions,
numbering lists, summarizing, and commenting.

When we're done, I ask the students if this process feels more focused
and active than their usual textbook reading. They uniformly agree that
it does. I wish I could say I've transformed all their study lives, but
I know I've made at least some converts.

I'm attaching a PPT on annotating that I sometimes use to introduce the
process. Feel free to modify and use it as you see fit.

Sue Wickham
Academic Achievement Center
Des Moines Area Community College
2006 S. Ankeny Blvd.