For our training, we read a selection of articles with the same theme (ELL/ESL, learning disabilities, training new tutors, etc) and then we discuss them.? Sometimes we will play a game related to this theme, but a lot of it is discussion.? We did do a scavenger hunt where we had to use our resources (Little Brown Handbook,?training manual, etc)?to find answers to specific questions (what is a rhetorical argument, etc.).? That was fun!? We also had a training session on personality traits and talked about how we relate to one another and our students based on our personalities (guardian, comforter, etc).

-----Original Message-----
From: LICITRA, JENNA <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:29 am
Subject: Professional Development Training

Good morning!

We are trying to incorporate professional development training for the tutors
into our monthly meetings.  For example, last week, we focused on Ethics.  There
was a discussion, as well as an activity.

We are trying to focus on topics for CRLA certification.  Does anyone have any
suggestions for professional development training?  Perhaps interactive
activities to help the students remember the concepts?  I would love to hear how
other people promote professional development.

Thanks for your time and help!

Jenna Licitra

Jenna Licitra
Graduate Assistant of the Tutoring Center