For those of you are in the Boston area, or may pass through this Fall, see
below the remaining schedule for Cambridge Colloquium on Complexity and
Social Networks for the Fall, 2008. Please note that a light lunch will be
served at events.  Feel free to forward this e-mail on to interested
parties.  And if this e-mail has been forwarded to you and you would like to
be added to the e-mail list, please send an e-mail to

The online event by Marc Smith for .NetMap, a network analysis/visualization
add in for Excel, will be open to anyone who signs on (up to the 200 person
capacity)-- I will send an e-mail to this list with the sign up information
closer to the actual event.

Also, a reminder:  for those of you who are part of APSA (the political
science association), we are launching an organized section on "political
networks".  We need just a few more "signatures" (names plus APSA id's).  If
you are an APSA member and would like to lend your name to the effort,
please e-mail me ([log in to unmask]) or Michael Heaney (*mtheaney*@
ufl.edu)

Best,

David Lazer, Director
Program on Networked Governance
Harvard University

CAMBRIDGE COLLOQUIUM ON COMPLEXITY AND SOCIAL NETWORKS

October 20:  Economic complexity and growth

Fainsod Room (Littauer building)

Cesar Hidalgo
Center for International Development
Harvard University

October 27:  Using (Excel) .NetMap for Social Network Analysis

Marc Smith (recently of Microsoft Research)

IMPORTANT, THIS IS AN ONLINE ONLY EVENT:  URL to be posted at
www.hks.harvard.edu/netgov at sent to this list via e-mail.

This will be an online tutorial for.NetMap, a free add-in for Excel 2007
that provides social network diagram and analysis tools in the context of a
spreadsheet. To download the Excel .NetMap Add-in and slides visit:
http://www.codeplex.com/netmap.

November 24: Honest Signals

Taubman 275

Alex (Sandy) Pentland
Media Lab, MIT

DETAILS ON NEXT EVENT:

Economic complexity and growth
Cesar Hidalgo, Harvard University (see www.chidalgo.com)

We develop a new general tool to capture the information contained in the
links of a bipartite network and apply it to the relationship between
countries and the products they export. The method is based on the
calculation of the average properties of a node's neighbors, where the
neighbors of a country are the products that it exports and the neighbors of
a product are the countries that export it.  We show that our measures are
highly correlated with a country's GDP per capita.  More importantly, we
show that these measures are predictive of a country's future economic
growth and of some of the properties of the new exports that a country will
develop over time. This method can be iterated by successively calculating
the average nearest neighbor properties of the previous measure.
Surprisingly, the information on income and growth extracted through our
method increases with each iteration, indicating that our approach captures
information about the productive structure of countries that matters for
economic growth and development.

PAST EVENT

Nathan Eagle on "Mobile Phones in Africa: Education, Entrepreneurship, and
Research".  Slides available at www.hks.harvard.edu/netgov

--
David Lazer (www.davidlazer.com)
Director, Program on Networked Governance