Hello all!

Just a quick update on my affiliation, as I am no longer working at
Microsoft.

The .NetMap <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap> project was built while I was
at Microsoft and continues to involve several people at MSR including Natasa
Milic-Frayling, Eduarda Mendes Rodrigues, Eric Gleave, Dan Fay and Tony Hey.

External contributors to the .NetMap <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap> project
include Ben Shneiderman, Adam Perer, and Cody Dunne.

.NetMap is written by Tony Capone.

I will soon be working as Chief Social Scientist at
Telligent.<http://www.telligent.com>

I will continue to contribute to the
.NetMap<http://www.codeplex.com/netmap> project
which will now be led by Natasa Milic-Frayling from Microsoft Research in
Cambridge, England.

Regards,

Marc Smith

~Online event. Registration required, and free of charge.~

Note that there is a small chance that we will hit the capacity limit
of 200, so register ahead of time at:
http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/spotlight.html?id=1721&preview=0

This url also has links to where you can download the software,
information on technical requirements for logging on, etc.

(Excel) .NetMap <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap> is an add-in for Office
2007 that provides social network diagram and analysis tools in the context
of a spreadsheet. Adding the directed graph chart type to Excel opens up
many possibilities for easily
manipulating networks and controlling their display properties.

In this tutorial the steps needed to install and operate (Excel)
.NetMap <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap>are
reviewed. The (Excel) .NetMap <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap> add-in
provides directed graph charting features within Excel, allowing users to
create node-link diagrams with control over each node and edge color, size,
transparency and shape. Since .NetMap  <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap> builds
within Excel, all of the controls and programmatic features of Office are
available. Additional features of (Excel) .NetMap
<http://www.codeplex.com/netmap>
 generate
social networks from data sources like personal e-mail (drawing data
from the Windows Desktop Search engine). Arbitrary edge lists (anything that
can be pasted into Excel) can be visualized and analyzed in .NetMap
<http://www.codeplex.com/netmap>
.

Formerly at Microsoft Research, Marc Smith is Chief Social Scientist at the
Telligent <http://www.telligent.com> corporation.  Smith studies the social
organization of online communities and computer mediated interaction. He is
the co-editor with Peter Kollock of Communities in
Cyberspace<http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0415191408/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link>
(Routledge),
a collection of essays exploring the ways identity; interaction and social
order develop in online groups.

Smith's research focuses on computer-mediated collective action: the
ways group dynamics change when they take place in and through
social cyberspaces. Many "groups" in cyberspace produce public goods and
organize
themselves in the form of a commons (see related
papers<http://delicious.com/marc_smith/paper> ).
Smith's goal is to visualize these social cyberspaces, mapping and measuring
their structure, dynamics and life cycles.

This session will provide a walk through the basic operation of
.NetMap <http://www.codeplex.com/netmap>. Attendees
are encouraged to bring an edge list of interest. Sample data sets will be
provided. Techniques for time slicing and filtering networks will be
highlighted.