Hello all-

I have this intuitive hunch that denser networks, all else equal, would have fewer structural holes as a matter of course. Since Burt's constraint measures depend on non-redundancy, a denser network would have more redundant ties. Am I missing something here?

Does anyone know if there is a more formal treatment of this issue?

Thanks,
Jordi

--
Jordi Comas
Assistant Professor (2008- )

Ideas, Commentary and Research Blog: www.netsweweave.wordpress.com

Personal website: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/jcomas

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory." Kurt Lewin

"Not all learning leads to intelligent behavior." James March

"I often say sociology is a martial art, a means of self-defense. Basically, you use it to defend yourself, without having the right to use if for unfair attacks." Pierre Bourdieu

"These are hard times to get it right, but the easy answers to yesterday’s debate won’t get it right." Lawrence Lessig