Mandatory Tutoring:

Lincoln University, Pennsylvania has several types of mandatory
tutoring.

1.    The Learning Resource Center manages the mandatory tutoring labs
for developmental reading, writing and mathematics courses.  Attendance
is 15% of the course grade and is under "participation".  We keep track
of attendance with a time clock and time cards.  Students clock in and
out and have to get a tutor to sign their timecard at the end of the
period.  This is to ensure students return from bathroom breaks and work
during the period.  We now have online tutoring that also tracks the
students' time as well as progress.  We also have a make-up system and
we are kept busy approving and scheduling make-ups. We have 1200 slots
filled in our tutoring labs.  Writing and reading tutoring labs are once
a week (we would like twice a week but do not have the physical
facilities or staff) from 9:00am to 3:00pm, and math is twice a week
between 3:00pm and 10:00pm.  We employ professional, adult tutors and
have a few peer tutors that help out in the math lab.

We would like to have the labs count as one credit to improve the
students' motivation.

2.    Students who are in our Act 101 program, students who did not meet
the admissions criteria, are required to attend 5 additional hours of
tutoring per week-one each for reading and writing and three hours for
math.  These students do have a timecard and come between 3:00pm and
5:00pm when tutors are on duty for drop-in tutoring.  If a student has
to go in front of the Academic Standing Committee, we bring the record
of tutoring attendance to support the student.

3.    The EMAP program (Early Monitoring Alert Program) is for students
on probation.  These students are required to attend 10 hours a week of
tutoring (not in the Learning Resource Center).  This program is
utilized as an alternative to academic suspension, etc.

The Act 101 students have exhibited a higher persistence, retention and
graduation rate than students not in the program.

I hope this is helpful,

Dr. Fullmer

Interim Director

  _____