To All Sky Watchers,

Alachua Astronomy Club member, Mike Toomey, sent the following
announcement on Monday, Nov. 17, 2008, about observing the
International Space Station (ISS) to the club's atm-observers-l list.

However, readers of the club's aac-l list should also be interested:

>"Keep an eye on Heaven's Above this week for passovers of the
>International Space Station, coupled with Endeavor.  Some passes better
>than others.  The weather looks to cooperate most of the week!"
>
>http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=29.633&lng=-82.433&loc=Gainesville&alt=33&tz=EST
>
>Mike

I can attest that these flybys are exciting to see.  I saw the Monday
evening flyby from my driveway with my wife.  It was right on
schedule and exactly where predicted.  And almost as bright as
Jupiter when the ISS reached its maximum elevation above the horizon.

Keep watching and the ISS will dim out as it enters the Earth's
shadow (and is "eclipsed").

You can see images and a short animation of Monday evening's flyby on
my web site taken with a simple digital point and shoot camera (on a tripod):

http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~cohen/ISS.html

Try it for yourself!

The above prediction are for Gaineville, Fl.  If you live elsewhere,
go to the Heavens Above home page, configure for your own location,
and then select 10 day predictions for ISS:

http://heavens-above.com/

Good ISS hunting.

Howard Cohen