We have a program at our college which flags students trying to repeat a math
class more than twice.  They have to come in to our center for assessment.

We worked with our math department design an assessment for each of our basic
skills courses.  The assessments are aligned with the syllabi and textbooks
and reflect the pre-entry skills required for success in the requested math
class.

I think if you can work with your math faculty (they probably have ancillary
tests) it brings them to the table for your efforts.  They know and you know
what skills are necessary. Besides, they changing course outlines, etc all
the time, so you'll need to change your assessments as well.

I've found that standardized tests sometimes did not readily fit into the
skill levels for our math courses.

Professor Diana Fink
Director Academic Support Services
The PLACe   Room D -106