Thanks for sharing the presentation. It has a lot of great ideas.

Heather Sherman
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diana Calhoun Bell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:01:19 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Tutor Empathy Training

Here's a training module I use with my tutors using the Gibbs
communication model that emphasizes supportive language. Hope it is
helpful.
Diana Bell

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for any research articles or tutor training videos focusing on
> using sensitive language and positive reinforcement in a tutoring session
> (especially sensitive language), or any resources discussing the overlap
> between peer tutor and peer counselor. I'm concerned that the tutors in my
> center don't have the language to be sensitive and empathetic when working
> with clients that have a very high stress level. Does anybody have any
> suggestions for resources?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Elizabeth Threadgill (with Rene' LeBlanc)
> Coordinator
> Writing Center
> Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas

Dr. Diana C. Bell
Academic Resource Center Director
136 Madison Hall
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL  35899
256.824.3142

"We cannot learn something without eating it, yet we cannot really learn
it either without letting it eat us."
                              (Peter Elbow)

Heather Sherman
Franklin University