-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Worden, Elizabeth
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

Not yet!

Elizabeth Worden, Ph.D., Director
Academic Support Center
Eastern Maine Community College
354 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME  04401
phone:  207 974 4658
fax:  207 974 4888
website:  www.emcc.edu/departments/asc/

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of VERA MAYES
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

Do you charge the students for it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Worden, Elizabeth
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

I am using PLATO somewhat differently.  We offer it to students who, when they take the placement assessment test into needing a developmental math course - math is the trigger because our students are vastly more likely to use a math tutor than an English one.  We offer these students a PLATO course to be completed prior to their arrival on campus.  When the course is completed, the student is retested in the specific math assessment in which their score was low.  We have found it very effective.  Most students improve their skills enough that they no longer need to take the developmental course.  This saves them time and money and we believe, though I do not yet have enough data to determine this, that we will have students who are more likely to complete their educational goal if they can start their college work by taking the courses required for their program and which count towards their degree.  I also use PLATO as supplemental instruction.