-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cleveland, Prof. John P.
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Comparing # of visits to a tutoring center and grades

Hi fellow Listers,

I am wondering about your experiences with comparing students' grades in a
course with the number of times they came to your tutoring center.  I have a
clunky database that will tell me who came in how many times for what.  And
then, I can take that Excel report and go into Banner to see what grade a
student received.  I can also see if the grade that a student received is
under or over his or her overall GPA.  I imagine that this is going to be a
labor intensive process, and I don't know what this analysis will show-if
anything significant.

If you have done this, how have you done this?  What have been your
experiences with this kind of data gathering and analysis?  Have you found
anything significant, which perhaps you used in the marketing, staffing, and
operation of your tutoring center?  Are there easier ways of doing this, or
should I just buckle down and slough through the data?

Thank you,

John Cleveland

John P. Cleveland, M.T.S., M.A.
Director, Tutoring Center
Center for Academic Excellence
& Adjunct Instructor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies Pace University
41 Park Row, Room 204
New York, NY  10038
212-346-1407
212-346-1520 (fax)