-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Martin Golson
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Structured Learning Assistance

I have received a number of requests for more information about SLA. I
am going to post a response to the listserve and invite additional
questions if I do not cover the topic adequately.

I am also including my slides from a presentation I just gave in Tucson
about our program. I hope that everyone is able to open the attachment
(I used the 2003 version).

Here are the comments I sent to other people offline. I hope this proves
useful.

I am including a couple of links
*	http://www.thencat.org/PlanRes/R2R_Model_Linked.htm is the site
for the National Council for Academic Transformation. It provides a
brief overview of the model we developed.
*	http://www.apsu.edu/academic_support/sla.htm is the APSU site
which provides some information to students about the program.

Here is a quick look at how SLA works:
*	Students enroll in the core course. At the same time the
students
are also enrolled into the workshops for the course.
*	The core course is the same as the course taught to non-SLA
supported sections
*	The workshops use a combination of technology and traditional
instruction to:
o	Reinforce key course concepts
o	Provide test reviews
o	Provide individualized instruction of prerequisite competencies
on
a just in time basis
*	The workshops are mandatory. They are lead by student workers
who
have already successfully completed the course

Here are the results after one year:
*	Students successfully completing the core mathematics courses
increased by over 30%
*	Students successfully completing the English composition course
increased by over 17%
*	Retention of the target population increased by over 12%
*	Students saved $500-$900, depending on placement level
*	The university saved over $100,000

We were funded initially by a $40,000 grant. This allowed us to start
the program. The savings generated by the program allow us to continue.

How do we provide support?
* We administer a test on the prerequisite competencies during the
second workshop.
* Students use MyMathLab for the computer-based portion of the workshop.

The test determines which sections the student needs to complete.
Students are provided a schedule for completing the required sections,
based on when the skills will be needed to support the core course.
* The SLA Leader (student worker) attends the lecture portion of the
course and reviews key concepts during the first portion of each
workshop.
* Test reviews are conducted prior to every test.