All:

It was another amazing day at Stormwater Treatment Area #5 (STA-5)
south of Clewistion in Hendry County yesterday, 12/13/2008. There
were 44 participants on the tour from as far away as Seattle, WA &
Scranton, PA. Also included was a group of photographers doing their
"thing" and a group from Broward County Audubon. We saw a total of 80
species/subspecies on yesterday's tour including some uncommon
species for South Florida. The good news is that the wintering ducks
have returned! The bad news (from a birding perspective) is that duck
hunting season is about to commence. SFWMD has even built a so-called
"duck blind" (actually more like a pier that juts out into one of the
cell/impoundments) for mobility-impaired hunters so that they can
"enjoy" shooting their prey. Read about it here:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-
flspwaters12-12sbdec12,0,6866648.column

I wish SFWMD would build a high observation platform for birders at
STA-5 so that we could better "enjoy" our recreational pursuit. The
chances of that happening are about nil I would think.

Before I list the great birds we saw yesterday at STA-5, including
several rarities(!), I want to relate that Alan Murray and I found a
banded Roseate Spoonbill (yellow band with no alphanumeric code) over
a metal band on the ROSP's left leg. I have already reported this
sighting to FloridaAudubon.org. The bird was found in the wetlands on
the west side of CR833 aka Government Rd., just north of its
intersection with CR835. We saw the bird in the morning on the drive
out to STA-5 from Naples. A few other notable birds seen on the drive-
out were two Scissor-tailed Flycatchers on the wires above the Ocean
Boy Shrimp Farm property on CR835 and four or so Snail Kites with as
many Limpkins at the Farm 8 Wetlands just north of Ocean Boy. Those
numbers are way down from our normal previous totals for these
species due to the natural and man-induced "dry-down" of the
wetlands. Also present were a pair of Painted Buntings along the
canal at Ocean Boy. The drive back to Naples was uneventful although,
thanks to a "heads-up" from my friend Kermit "Spike" Updegrove of
Naples, Alan and I were able to make a brief stop at the North Naples
Waste Water Treatment Facility (aka Sewage Plant) on Goodlette-Frank
Rd. between Vanderbilt Rd. & Immokalee Rd. to see the nice male
Redhead (duck) that Spike found earlier in the day. Redhead is an
uncommon duck in Collier County. Also present were two dozen or so
Lesser Scaup. There may be a Greater Scaup in there as well but we
didn't have enough daylight left to study the ducks too closely and
from such a long distance. Also present at the sewage plant were two
dozen or so Hooded Mergansers, 6-8 Ring-necked Ducks, some Mottled
Ducks and a few other waders, etc. With the Redhead & Lesser Scaup,
Alan and I saw a total of 17 species of ducks in South Florida on
12/13/2008. Not too shabby! Here's the complete list of the birds
seen at on the December 13, 2008 STA-5 tour. Rare/uncommon species
for our area and especially inland Florida areas such as STA-5 are
highlighted in CAPS:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck     30
Fulvous Whistling-Duck    15
Wood Duck     1
GADWALL     2
EURASIAN WIGEON     2 or possibly 3
American Wigeon
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
CANVASBACK     3
Ring-necked Duck
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER     1
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican     50+
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
GREAT WHITE HERON    1
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill     100+
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Crested Caracara     2
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Sora     1
Purple Swamphen     6-8
Purple Gallinule     1
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Limpkin    2
Sandhill Crane   2
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper
STILT SANDPIPER     6
Long-billed Dowitcher     600+
Wilson's Snipe
Caspian Tern    2
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
BARRED OWL     1
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Phoebe
Western Kingbird    2
CASSIN'S KINGBIRD  (same bird that has been seen in the last few
months at STA-5)
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher   1
Loggerhead Shrike
Tree Swallow