Early in December, 2007, I photographed two Bald Eagles courting and
mating on a rooftop of a home across from our home on a small South
Florida lake. They went on to nest in a small (24 acre) wooded area near
a busy intersection in Pembroke Pines, only 100 yards from a main
thoroughfare and surrounded by development. The birds fledged one chick
in April, 2008. Since then, a new High School has opened within a few
blocks of the nest site, and school-related traffic congestion has
increased tremendously.

Since DDT was banned, the eagles have recovered in recent years and now
there are over 1,200 nesting pairs in Florida. Yet, this was the first
record of an active Bald Eagle nest in Broward County this century. Now
the birds are bringing in sticks and appear ready to start another
brood. A group of local Middle School students are designing a study to
determine whether traffic density is related to any changes in the
birds' behavior.

We are following the progress of the nest and the students' activities
at this Web site:
http://rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html

 Ken

--