I agree these are very serious issues. And, as Hugh notes, much of it
derives from the difficulties of management span of control and policy
enforcement.

We already have difficulty getting ERM implemented internally in
organizations, and serious issues getting ERM implemented in outsourcing
contracts, and now IT creates virtual servers and computer storage. As I
read this fascination in the IT journals with virtual storage, it seems to
only prove once again that management barely understands technology except
from a cost perspective, and have no idea what information management risks
IT techno-wizardry brings to their ability to actually manage an
organization.

It is difficult enough to get an organization's information management
policies and procedures implemented through service level agreement
revisions in current computer architectures. I have yet to see anyone in the
IT community with a clue about the security, privacy, and records retention
risks posed by virtual computing. And by the time management figures out
that they have been snowed by IT about the real risks involved, IT will be
seeking (and finding) employment elsewhere.

John

John T. Phillips

BS, MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI

Information Technology Decisions