On Saturday, December 20, Ron Christen and I covered the Lighthouse Section
for the St. Marks Christmas Bird Count. The unusually warm weather and near
normal rainfall during the year combined for a very respectable species
total of 117 species. We logged a total of 33 miles driving and 4.5 miles
walking during our 11 hours of birding. All of the birds listed were found
between the helispot and the Lighthouse (not including Stoney Bayou Pool 2).
The full species list may be found at
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgpsjbqp_2f7bkbqhk
<http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgpsjbqp_2f7bkbqhk%20%20>
Here are the highlights:
Bobcat (slowly wading in shoulder-deep water across the north end of Mounds
Pool 3 through a raft of ducks. Unbelievable views through the spotting
scope of this Bobcat in the water surrounded by Wigeon and Green-winged
Teal.
Snow Goose (1 white phase at Tower Pond)
Common Goldeneye (1 in Mounds Pool 1 and Mound Pool 2)
Reddish Egret (4 in Tower Pond)
Black-crowned Night-heron (12 flying over the spillway on the SSW side of
East River Pool)
Yellow-crowned Night-heron (1 flying over Lighthouse Pool)
Virginia Rail (2 easily viewable while walking the double dikes on the north
side of Stoney Bayou Pool 1)
Black-necked Stilt (1 in Mounds Pool 3 north end)
American Avocet (2 in Tower Pond)
Marbled Godwit (4 in Tower Pond)
Red Knot (18 in Tower Pond)
Western Sandpiper (1200 mostly in Tower Pond and on the adjacent Marsh
flats)
Le Conte's Sparrow (1 found, with the help of Eric Shaw's team, along the
south edge of the Helispot, which has been mowed lower than I've ever seen
it)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Rob Lengacher
Tallahassee, FL