Last week, I guided two different British couples to Tigertail Beach
on Marco Island in Collier County. On each occasion, I found a
different banded Piping Plover among the many shorebirds present. I
sent in the info to the authorities and just got back a reply stating
that both birds were banded in Vermillion (yes, with 2 "l's"), South
Dakota. One bird was banded as an adult in 2007 and the other was
banded as a chick in 2005. Both were banded by researchers from
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Nice to find out
this info. BTW, there are great numbers of shorebirds at Tigertail
Beach at this time. Each day out there over the last week has yielded
15-20 Snowy Plovers, 20-25 Piping Plovers, 50+ Wilson's Plovers as
well as many Semipalmated & Black-bellied Plovers. Red Knot, Dunlin,
Short-billed Dowitcher, Least & Western Sandpipers, Sanderling,
Willet, Ruddy Turnstone and Lesser Yellowlegs round-out the other
shorebirds. A few Northern Gannets and Magnificent Frigatebirds have
been seen on the Gulf side of the beach. Peregrine Falcon, Red-
breasted Merganer, American White Pelican, white morph Reddish Egret,
Red-breasted Merganser and herring Gull have also been seen along
with other "common" species. There are Burrowing Owls present just
outside Tigertail Beach in the residential neighborhood.

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL