Dear fellow Graduate Students,

My name is Heshan "Grasshopper" Illangkoon, I am a graduate senator in student government and for the past three years, in collaboration with the Graduate Student Council and the GAU, I have been your voice in SG and the administration. We need your help to get the word out for the following items:

1) The deadline for the HHMI Science for Life Graduate Student Mentor Award is nearly upon  us. This award recognizes graduate students who participate in research and publication opportunities in the life sciences in collaboration with undergraduates. Graduate students who receive awards will be recognized during a UF commencement ceremony each year. To be eligible, applicants must be enrolled at the University of Florida as a graduate student in the semester in which they apply for the award and you must have a co-authored publication with an undergraduate student. The application is available at the following link:

http://hhmi.chem.ufl.edu/applications/grad/

2) We created a facebook group for graduate students so that we can communicate with each  other especially about events, scholarships, jobs and anything else which is relevant to  our community. The group is located at the following link, please join and invite your friends.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=66739883134&ref=mf

3) VOTE & GET INVOLVED! - Mark your calenders, Student Government Elections are coming up Tuesday February 24th and Wednesday the 25th.
Graduate student turnout in years past has been a dismal 3%. Remember, more graduate student involvement in elections is directly proportional to political clout in student government. This could include increased travel grants, further fee mitigation and expanded childcare services. Polling location information is located at the following link:

http://sg.ufl.edu/elections/Spring%2009%20polling%20locations.pdf

More elections information is available at

http://sg.ufl.edu/elections

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your time,

Your Graduate Senator,

Heshan "Grasshopper" Illangkoon