Clinton climate change envoy vows 'dramatic diplomacy'
Reuters, Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45pm EST

"WASHINGTON, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton named
a special envoy on Monday to lead U.S. efforts to fight global warming
and forge new international accords on reducing carbon emissions and
developing clean energy.

The appointment -- which accompanied other energy policy steps announced
by President Barack Obama -- signaled a break from the Bush
administration's climate policies, and Clinton's pick promised
"vigorous, dramatic diplomacy."

Todd Stern, a senior White House official under former President Bill
Clinton, will be the administration's principal adviser on international
climate policy and strategy and its chief climate negotiator.

"With the appointment today of a special envoy we are sending an
unequivocal message that the United States will be energetic, focused,
strategic and serious about addressing global climate change and the
corollary issue of clean energy," Clinton said at a State Department
ceremony.

Stern's appointment came as Obama announced moves to force auto makers
to produce more fuel-efficient and less polluting cars, including
telling the Environmental Protection Agency to reconsider a California
request to impose strict limits on vehicle carbon dioxide emissions.

"As we take steps at home, we will also vigorously pursue negotiations,
those sponsored by the United Nations and those at the sub-global,
regional and bilateral level, that can lead to binding international
climate agreements," Clinton said.

"No solution is feasible without all major emitting nations joining
together and playing an important part," she said.

Stern coordinated climate change policy from 1997 to 1999 in her husband
Bill Clinton's administration, acting as the senior White House
negotiator in the Kyoto talks.

'We can only meet the climate challenge with a response that is
genuinely global,' he said. 'We will need to engage in vigorous,
dramatic diplomacy.'"

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed1/idUSN26361321

--
Vote for Change - help make biogas part of President-elect Obama's
energy plan: http://biogas.ifas.ufl.edu/voteforchange.htm

Dr. Ann C. Wilkie                          Tel: (352)392-8699
Soil and Water Science Department          Fax: (352)392-7008
University of Florida-IFAS
P.O. Box 110960                         E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Gainesville, FL 32611-0960
Campus location: Environmental Microbiology Laboratory (Bldg. 246).
http://campusmap.ufl.edu/
BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Society
http://grove.ufl.edu/~bests/