WI Affiliated Faculty:

Happy New Year and welcome back!  It is time for Water Institute Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC) elections for 2009.   We appreciate your participation and ask that you vote by Monday, January 12th at the link provided at the bottom of this email.

The Faculty Advisory Committee consists of 12 participating Water Institute Affiliate faculty serving staggered 3 year terms. Eight of the members are elected and four are appointed to ensure disciplinary and other types of diversity.   We need to elect 4 WI FAC members to replace those who completed their terms in Dec 2008 (Sanford Berg, Mark Brenner, Jim Heaney and Ted Schuur). The 8 Current WI FAC members include Dorota Haman (Chair), Richard Hamann, Tom Frazer, James Jawitz, Jim Jones, Jonathan Martin, Chris McCarty, and Peter Sheng. More information on the FAC can be found at the Water Institute Website. http://www.waterinstitute.ufl.edu/people/advisory.html

We are asking you to vote for a total of 4 elected positions to represent the WI Thrust Areas on the FAC. Each faculty member receiving the most votes within designated thrust areas will be elected for a three year term.

 - Vote for 2 Nominees in Water Resources Sustainability/Water & Climate
 - Vote for 1 Nominee in Water, Land and Ecosystems
 - Vote for 1 Nominee in Water and Society

For your convenience, we have included information on each of the nominees below which you may want to review before connecting to the link for the voting survey at the bottom of this email.

Water Resources Sustainability/Water and Climate (you will be able to vote for TWO)

·       Mike Annable, Professor, Environmental Engineering Sciences.  Groundwater Hydrology, Contaminant Fate and Transport, Site Remediation and Characterization, Multiphase Fluid Flow, Wetland Hydrology, Lake Hydrology www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/annable/ <http://www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/annable/>

·       Keith Ingram, Assistant Research Scientist, Agricultural and Biological Engineering.  As coordinator of the Southeast Climate Consortium, I am interested in the application of climate sciences to reduction of risks for agriculture and water resources management. With respect to water resources, we are particularly interested using climate forecasts to estimate probabilities of extreme events such as drought and flood, likely nutrient contamination of water resources. Once we have established the relationship between climate and water resource characteristics, we will work with decision makers to identify applications of this information to develop methods for improved resource management. Website: www.agen.ufl.edu<http://www.agen.ufl.edu/contact/directory/detail_person.php?id=780>

·       Angela Linder, Associate Professor, Environmental Engineering Sciences.  Biological transformations and bioremediation of substituted aromatic and aliphatic compounds - Mechanistic studies of enzymatic oxidation of aromatic compounds by soluble methane monooxygenase - Quantitative structure-activity relationships (QSAR) - Microbial ecology of mixed cultures - Pollution prevention and life cycle analysis (LCA)- Green Engineering Design & Sustainability- Environmental Chemistry of Carbon Compounds website: www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/lindner/ <http://www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/lindner/>

·       Rafael Munoz-Carpena, Associate Professor, Agricultural and Biological Engineering  Surface/groundwater hydrology and water quality focusing on statewide issues with emphasis in the southern Everglades Region. Research responsibility and emphasis are on hydrologic processes in Florida and includes water management and field and modeling studies of hydrologic and solute chemical transformation, transport and fate processes. The Extension responsibilities to support Water Resources issues, and locally focused on the impact of the Everglades restoration process on agriculture and natural resources. Educational programming also includes extending information about water-related agricultural production practices, including irrigation, which will improve the compatibility of agriculture with the surrounding natural ecosystem and expanding urban population in Florida.  Website: carpena.ifas.ufl.edu <http://carpena.ifas.ufl.edu>

·       Robert Ries, Assistant Professor, M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction.    Expertise in Life cycle assessment of water use related to buildings; green roofs.  Sustainable water use in the built environment; effects of the built environment on watersheds.  Transdisciplinary multi-stakeholder decision making frameworks.  His primary research work is in improving the environmental performance of buildings and the built environment including environmental life cycle assessment (LCA) in the building domain. Recent water-related research has included monitoring and life cycle assessment of green roof systems and the development of a multi-stakeholder development planning framework. He has more than 80 publications in the area of life cycle assessment and optimization, green building construction, and environmental impact assessment of buildings. Website:<https://apps.research.ufl.edu/is/outside_websites/waterinstitute/menu_ees.cfm?project_number=445>

·       Elizabeth Screaton, Associate Professor, Geology.  My research examines the interaction of fluids and geologic processes. I examine groundwater/surfacewater interactions within the Floridan aquifer, subduction zone fluid flow processes, and the interrelationship between deformation, fluid pressures, and fluid flow. Website: www.clas.ufl.edu/users/screaton/screaton.html <http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/screaton/screaton.html>

Water, Land and Ecosystems (vote for ONE)

·       Mark Brenner, Associate Professor, Geology.  Mark Brenner is a limnologist and paleolimnologist with special interests in tropical and subtropical lakes and watersheds. He uses sediment cores from lake bottoms to reconstruct the history of aquatic ecosystems and their drainage basins. These sediment profiles record information on long-term climate change and human-induced environmental impacts. The research is collaborative and multidisciplinary, involving several areas of expertise, including palynology, elemental analyses, nutrients, stable isotope geochemistry, microfossil analysis, and radiometric dating. Mark has worked on research projects supported by NSF, NASA, USGS, ICDP, and the Florida Water Management Districts. He has done fieldwork in Mexico, Guatemala, Bolivia, China, Cambodia, Haiti, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Florida.  Mark's research has focused on several general topics: 1) historical trophic state changes in Florida lakes, 2) paleoecology of the Maya region (Mexico and Guatemala), 3) paleoclimate of the Yunnan Plateau, China, 4) environmental history of the Bolivian Altiplano, 5) history of El Niņo, 6) 210Pb dating, and 7) bioaccumulation of 226Ra. Mark currently serves as Director of UF's Land Use and Environmental Change Institute (LUECI), an interdisciplinary center that has laboratories dedicated to GIS/Remote Sensing, and analysis of sediment cores from lacustrine, marine, and wetland sites (Florida Institute of Paleoenvironmental Research). See www.clas.ufl.edu/lueci/home.htm<http://www.clas.ufl.edu/lueci/home.htm>.

·       Ramesh Reddy,  Graduate Research Professor and Chair, Soil and Water Sciences.  Dr. Reddy specializes in biogeochemistry of wetlands and aquatic systems, as related to water quality, carbon sequestration, and ecosystem productivity. Ttaches a course on Biogeochemistry of Wetlands and Aquatic Systems and trains students in the theory and practice on water resources issues related to wetlands and aquatic systems. Dr. Reddy conducts research on coupled biogeochemical cycling of nutrients and other contaminants in wetlands and aquatic systems, as related to ecosystem function and water quality. His current research has focused on three main themes: (1) coupled biogeochemical cycles regulating nutrient and contaminant behavior in wetlands and aquatic systems, (2) biogeochemical indicators/processes to evaluate nutrient/contaminant impacts and recovery in wetlands and aquatic systems; (3) application of basic water science research to solve real-world water quality problems; (4) integrate process level information into policy development and regulation; and (5) promote interdisciplinary teaching, research and extension programs with other disciplines including ecology, limnology and hydrology. Dr. Reddy established the Wetland Biogeochemistry Laboratory (WBL) to accommodate a comprehensive interdisciplinary program in the area of biogeochemistry of wetlands and aquatic systems. Dr. Reddy serves on editorial boards of several journals including: Ecological Engineering; Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology; and Nutrient Cycling Agroecosystems. Dr. Reddy currently serves on a National Committee to develop nutrient criteria for wetland ecosystems, sponsored by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency. Dr. Reddy also serves on National Research Council (National Academies) committee on Soil Science.  wetlands.ifas.ufl.edu <http://wetlands.ifas.ufl.edu>

·       Ted Schuur, Assistant Professor, Botany.  I am an ecosystem ecologist interested in the controls over fluxes of energy and materials through ecosystems. I am particularly interested in the interactions between organisms and the physical environment that regulate the structure, function, and development of terrestrial ecosystems.  My research focuses on the interaction between carbon cycling in ecosystems and climate change. I am particularly interested in the exchange of carbon between plants, soils, and the atmosphere, and the response to changes in climate and disturbance regimes. My research program uses isotopes and environmental gradients as powerful approaches towards understanding basic patterns and processes in ecosystems . I use field and lab experiments to address research questions at the ecosystem scale, and environmental gradients to apply these results in a landscape-scale context. http://ecology.botany.ufl.edu/ecosystemdynamics/schuur/

Water and Society (Vote For ONE)

·       Tatiana Borisova, Assistant Professor, Food and Resource Economics. The focus of my research and extension programs is water economics and policy. I am interested in water use and allocation, water quality issues related to the discharge of water from agricultural lands, and the impacts of urbanization on water quantity and quality. I am also examining how water policy is developed, water transfer issues, and the interrelationships between water and land use issues. The areas of my specialization are: Water Economics, Water Policy, Natural Resource and Environmental Economics, Environmental policy, Non-market Valuation, Survey Research.
Website: http://www.fred.ifas.ufl.edu/showdirectoryentry.php?id=140&membertypeid=1

·       Christine Overdevest, Assistant Professor, Sociology.  Interested in public participation in natural resources management, especially in ecosystem management/adaptive management, or other collaborative approaches. Interested in stakeholder-based approaches to regulation and policy-making in general, including new approaches to governance such as certification organizations and industry self-regulation/codes of conduct.  Website: www.soc.ufl.edu/faculty/overdevest.htm  <http://www.soc.ufl.edu/faculty/overdevest.htm%20%20>

·       Renata Serra, Lecturer, Center for African Studies.  I am a development economist, specialized in household economics, and the study of informal institutions in poor countries. I have ten years experience of research and consultancy work (for international organizations, national donors and NGOs) mainly in the West African Francophone region, but also in India and in Egypt. Current or recent research projects include cotton sector reforms, gender and agriculture, child labor, microfinance and access to basic health Though my main expertise lies in issues of relevance to poor rural African societies, my interests have recently expanded to include research on environmental perceptions, collective action, conflict and institutional change concerning the use and management of water in Northern Florida. Two main intellectual questions that have driven my Africa-related research seem particularly relevant to the context of water management in Florida: 1) understanding institutional change in sectors related to agriculture and natural resources: how can problems of collective action be overcome? how are reforms implemented? what is the role of the different stakeholders?  how are conflicts mediated and what is the role of informal institutions and social norms in this respect?   2) understanding preferences, value priorities, and attitudes to risk in decision making: what are the sources of different stakeholders' attitudes concerning water quality and quantity? does behavior corresponds to value scales? in particular, how do farmers trade-off short and long-term benefits? what is the role of risk considerations? when are farmers more likely to respond to policy incentives for greater environmental protection?     Website:  http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/rserra/

PLEASE CAST YOUR VOTE BY MONDAY, JANUARY 12TH by connecting to the following LINK -
2009 Elections- Water Institute Faculty Advisory Committee<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=ohpYSCf0Y6E814SGZUq80A_3d_3d>

Thank you for your participation!  Contact Lisette Staal if you have any questions.
Lisette M. Staal, Research Coordinator
UF Water Institute
570 Weil Hall, PO Box 116601
University of Florida
Gainesville, Florida 32611-6601

Phone 352-392-5893 x 2116
Email  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.waterinstitute.ufl.edu<http://www.waterinstitute.ufl.edu/>