My tutors do a two-part self-assessment in the first third of every semester that basically consists of completing the same worksheet after two different tutoring sessions spaced a week or two apart.  Their reflection on the first session includes setting goals for things they'd like to improve.  The second reflection, which is based on the same worksheet, asks them if they feel they have made progress on their goals since they completed the first worksheet.  The questions are not deep or touchy-feely.  They have mostly to do with tutoring techniques, session management, and ethics, and they are based closely on what is covered in training at the beginning of the semester.  Both new tutors and experienced tutors do the self-assessment.  I am attaching the worksheet for you to see.  If any of it is useful to you at all, feel free to use it.

Michele Costabile Doney
Coordinator, Math and Science Tutoring
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Megan Henderson
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 4:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reflection Questions for Tutors

This semester, I would like to integrate some reflection in the tutor
training process. Do any of you require students to reflect on their work
through prompts or questioning? If so, what are some questions you ask
them?

Thanks!

Megan

Megan Henderson, M.S.Ed
Student Learning Services Generalist
Ryan C. Harris Learning & Teaching Center
University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1302
Room: 023