This morning while Al and I were monitoring Red-cockaded Woodpeckers
in the Croom Tract of the Withlacoochee State Forest (Hernando
County), we heard a Bachman's Sparrow singing. This is at least a
month earlier than we have ever heard one sing. It was clear and
sunny when we heard the bird at 9 a.m. Perhaps the Bachman's was
inspired to tune up because there were many other birds, such as Pine
Warblers, Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, and Eastern Towhees,
also in song there. We hadn't heard Bachman's singing at any of the
other 5 sites of equally suitable habitat that we visited earlier
that morning, even though Bachman's usually begin singing early in
the morning. The site is 0.2 miles north of Croom Road, about 100
yards west of Trail 7.

We also saw a Western Kingbird on the north side of Power Line Road,
sitting on a fence adjacent to the road, about half a mile west of
Kettering. When the bird flew, he moved to a fence that runs north
and south, bisecting a pasture where Burrowing Owls have been seen in
past years. We didn't see owls there this morning. Kettering Road
begins at the traffic light that is one mile east of I-75 on SR-50.
Continue 3 miles south to the end of Kettering, and turn right on
Power Line Road.

Bev Hansen
Spring Hill, FL