From: Florida Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Fritz Davis
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 11:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FLBIRDS] Harris's Sparrow 1/08 - yes

Since there hasn't been a detailed post regarding the La Chua Trail
recently, let me offer the following:

Yesterday (1/8), I arrived at Payne's Prairie at about 9 a.m. to look for
the Harris's Sparrow. I was soon joined by birders from Clermont and
Englewood, including Tom from Venice, from Rex Rowan's original post
regarding this bird (great story, terrific bird, thank you, Rex!). Our group
enjoyed nice views of Savannah, White-crowned (several imm and one or two
adults, occasionally singing), and a Vesper Sparrow, but the bird did not
put in an appearance. At about 10, a group returned from the cranes to
report that they had seen the Harris's at 7:45. There are still many
enthusiasts walking out the trail to  see the cranes and there a several
small hawks in the area. So there is considerable activity and the sparrows
flushed regularly, but they would eventually return. Finally at about 1:30,
the Harris's showed up, first in the tree and then on the ground to eat
seed. Everyone remaining got great views over the course of about a minute.
It soon moved back
 to the tree out of view. Five minutes later, it reappeared for another
minute and most of the group got to see it in my new scope.

Based on recent requests for information, there are still people hoping to
see this bird. The good news is that it is still there. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that early morning (before 8 a.m.) is the best time to see it. It
does appear other times as well, but you may have to wait, and on the
weekend there will be lots of crane watchers passing by. Be prepared to
answer the question, "What are you looking for?" many times, often from
people standing between you and the sparrow feeding area!

 Fritz Davis
Tallahassee, FL
davisfritz at yahoo.com