Subject:  Tierra Verde 1/6/09 birdPIX

Hi all:

I was out at Tierra Verde on 010609 during mid-day. The most interesting thing that occurred was the Frigatebird that I watched for a good 10 minutes as it circled around the area. I briefly observed a “black-backed gull” that was not recognizable as to which species it was.

The following links are to images of some of the birds that I found:

Great Egret
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550639/

Double-crested Cormorant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550801/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181388106/

Magnificent Frigatebird
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550255/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181387526/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550115/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181387392/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181387320/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181387254/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181387192/

This is the closest I have ever been to Frigatebirds.  This particular bird was so close that the camera could not capture the whole bird in action. This species normally circles high overhead.  This species raids other water bird species for their meals.

Herring Gull
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180551403/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181388640/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180551145/

In all the years that I have been birding I never realized that some species of gulls have such long necks as illustrated by the Herring Gull “yeowling” here.

Black-backed Gull (species)  ???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180551053/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3181388306/

This “black-backed gull is a confusing gull species.  This bird has flesh-colored legs like a GBBG but with a bit of streaking about the head like LBBG.  The beak had a bit of black markings covering it.  There was a yearling Herring Gull, not pictured here, but about the same size – I do not think that it was large enough to be GBBG. {[GBBG = Great Black-backed Gull]  [LBBG = Lesser Black-backed Gull]}

Caspian Tern
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550547/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550441/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9062150@N07/3180550369/