Subject:  Fotobirding on 1/12/09 & 1/12/09 in south Pinellas Co

Hi all:

Today (Monday) and yesterday (Sunday) I briefly ran out to see what I could find in south Pinellas County. Ron Smith alerted me to an Eastern Bluebird at Dell Holmes Park – did not find the bird but I looked at other things – Grackle, Kingfisher, Egret.  Today I took in Ft. DeSoto, Tierra Verde & I-275 Sunshine Skyway bridge.

Dell Holmes Park @ 22 St & 26 Av in St. Pete on 011209 BirdPIX
Tierra Verde & Sunshine Skyway bridge on 011209 BirdPIX

Anhinga                                ANHI
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3193318162/

male & female birds look so different in plumage.

Magnificent Frigatebird  ♀  MAFR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3192474007/

I have seen this same MAFR on three different days.  It is the same age/sex class.  It is a lone bird that seems to stay in about the same area at south TV/FD

Great Blue Heron                 GBHE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3193319050/

What a whopper – never did get to see if this bird successfully ate that food item as it took of after a bit with item still in its beak.  It kept trying to maneuver the item in order to swallow it.

Snowy Egret SNEG
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3193318474/

Cattle Egret   CAEG
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3192631275/

There were a bunch of these guys at Dell Holmes Park trolling the lawn area.

Lesser Black-backed Gull  LBBG
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3193318912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3192473405/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3193318624/

There is almost always a black-backed gull species on the light pole the I-275 bridge – either Great Black-backed or Lesser Black-backed Gull – this time it was a LBBG.

Caspian Tern                        CATE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3192473857/

Belted Kingfisher     ♂         BEKI
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34290188@N07/3192473011/

This is one species that I still do not have a quality image of as they seem to be so easily spooked or skittish.

Boat-tailed Grackle              BTGR