Hi Julie,

Ten years ago, my Center was called The Learning Center.  When I was hired, I looked at the University's mission statement, our strategic plan, and those types of documents.  The word "excellence" kept coming up.  I renamed our Center: The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE).  We have grown since then and I would like to change it to the Academic Centers (note the "s") for Excellence.  Your mission statement may help you brainstorm.

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julie Luekenga
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 1:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Center Names

Hi All--

What are center names that you've heard of, or can claim, for what you do?   We are currently the "Learning Assistance Center"  but have plans in the work to perhaps take on undeclared advising, career services, and tutoring in addition to Disability Services and Study Skills that we currently house.  We are trying to brainstorm new center names that reflect this "one stop shop" vision as well as be "hip" and relevant for the student (we had a student rep on our committee inform us that "success" in the title makes him think of elementary school, construction paper stars on bulletin boards.  I promised him a Scratch N' Sniff sticker if he came into see me...)

Thanks!

Julie

Julie Luekenga, Director ▪ Learning Assistance Center and Disability Services ▪ Western State College ▪ Gunnison, CO  81230

Taylor 306 ▪ 970.943.7056 ▪ [log in to unmask]
http://www.western.edu/lac/

This email and any documents attached may contain confidential information belonging to the sender which is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity mentioned above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance to the contents of this information is prohibited.