Scratch paper is the key ingredient in my Math Lab.  There are a few departments around campus, such as the copy center, who routinely save paper for us and we pick it up on a regular basis.  Recently, I was running low and posted a campus-wide announcement requesting scrap paper.  Timing couldn't have been better.  With our recent transition to becoming a university, there seems to be a plethora of UVSC letterhead. So we now have some very high class scratch paper, and it is blank on both sides.

When the tutor carries around scratch paper, s/he is less likely to write on a student's paper, thus maintaining student ownership of the work.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Utah Valley University
Math Lab Manager
801-863-8411

>>> "Roberta Schotka" <[log in to unmask]> 1/8/2009 9:44 AM >>>
Maybe you could work with one of your computer labs to use the massive
amounts of papers that students print but do not retrieve.

-Roberta

Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Thanks for your post, Betty.  That reminds me of something I've been
>meaning to ask the list.
>
>My tutors are always asking for scrap paper.  My personal feeling is that
>students should be bringing their own paper, because the problems they
>work during tutoring will be useful to them later on, and they should be
>right in their notebooks along with their classnotes.  However, that
>doesn't always happen, and often the tutors are scrambling for paper to
>write on.  I don't want to buy paper for this purpose, not only because
>our budget is tight, but also because I feel like it sends the wrong
>message to students.
>
>I've been thinking about sending out a mass email to all of the campus
>departments asking them to save paper for us that has only been used on
>one side.  That way, we can use it as scrap, and when it finally gets
>recycled, it will have been used twice rather than just once.
>
>Has anybody tried something like this?  Does it work?  Is it worth the
>hassle of rounding up the paper?
>
>Michele Costabile Doney
>Coordinator, Math and Science Tutoring
>John Jay College of Criminal Justice