Dave, we do something you may be interested in. It's called "Placement Boot Camp" or "Placement by Competency" if you prefer. Students enroll in the 6-week, 1 credit, Pass/Fail course, take a series of diagnostic assessments, work with an instructor (on-line) to create an individual plan of study, complete the plan, and take our college placement test as the exit test. The student is then placed in the appropriate math class (hopefully, college-level) after just 6 weeks, which is in time for our block classes mid-semester. This is our first semester to run this program on-line, but we have run a similar face-to-face program with good results.
I hope this helps.

Susan Ertel
Dixie State College of Utah

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of david cooper [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: module courses

Our department is trying to work on ways to decrease the amount of time our students spend in developmental courses. Among other ideas, there was the idea of breaking up a sixteen week course into shorter modular courses of, perhaps, 5 weeks each. So, theoretically,  a student could test into the last module of Introductory Algebra and spend only 5 weeks in the course instead of having to sit through the entire 16 weeks. Does anyone have experience with this kind of set up? I would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper
Wake Tech Comm. College
Raleigh, NC